Friday, January 7, 2011

Fool Your Friends Banana Bread

I made this banana bread last night and the first loaf is gone this morning. My favourite part about this recipe is that I really think I could fool my gluten filled friends with it. It's very silky and moist and smells incredible when it's in the oven. No one would ever know that it's gluten free.

Fool Your Friends Banana Bread (makes 2 loaves)



2 cups sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups sour milk (Sour your milk by blending in 1 1/2 tsp baking soda and adding a splash of lemon juice. Let stand for 10-20 mins.)
1 egg
3 mashed bananas
3 cups gluten free all purpose flour*

* If you have baked with your all purpose flour before, feel free to use that flour exclusively. I experimented with three different flours as well as my all purpose gluten free flour. I used 1 cup buckwheat flour, 1/2 cup sorghum, 1/2 brown rice flour, and 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 2 loaf pans. Cream together sugar, melted butter, sour milk, egg, and bananas. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture. Pour into loaf pans and bake in the oven for 50 minutes. I recommend checking the bread after about 40 minutes. Everyone uses different flours and that can affect the consistency of the bread. You'll know it's done when you poke it with a toothpick and the toothpick comes out dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment